You will be picked up and accompanied to your accommodation by one of the employees of the German-Norwegian study centre (DNSZ) on your arrival. There will be a bus transfer and later on another to the DNSZ location at the Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel, where you will have a small informative session with representatives of the International Center, of the ‘Lektorat Deutsch als Fremdsprache’ and of the DNSZ. You will receive essential material and information for your stay in Kiel.
Most students are accommodated in the residential home >>‘Wirtschaftsakademie Schleswig-Holstein’ (WAK). It is roughly 3 km away from the university and 5 km from the city centre. The bus connections are good. The students have a single room with WC/ shower. The room is furnished with a bed, desk, chair, shelf and wardrobe. Bed linen and towels are also available. The shared kitchen facilities include a refrigerator, a cupboard and cooker. Please provide your own dishes and cutlery. There is also a washing machine and drier in the main building. The rent is 300.00 € per month (this includes bed linen and towels). Rent is to be paid in cash on arrival at the WAK.
By request, the participants may also be accommodated with host families or in a shared flat in Kiel.
The students will need to cater for themselves. The canteen (Mensa) offers budget meals for around 3.00 €. Kiel offers a good variety of cafés, restaurants and pubs with at different price ranges. A simple meal can cost as little as 5.00 €.
The buses of the local public transport (KVG) allow a good level of mobility within Kiel. A single fare ticket (2 zones) costs 2.60 €. For a longer stay in Kiel (more than 22 bus journeys), we recommend purchasing a monthly ticket for 58.80 €. Further prices and timetables can be found on the website of the KVG.
A few pointers:
- Book your ticket on time/ in advance to get good deals and offers
The >>Color Line cruise ships Fantasy and Magic run daily between Oslo and Kiel.
- There is no international airport in Kiel, the next >>international airport is in Hamburg. You can access the timetable for the >>airport shuttle Kielius here.
- Always carry your passport and student id on you.
- Do not forget to bring the document E111!
- Do not forget to arrange travel insurance.
- Please be aware that it is not always possible to pay by credit card in Germany (especially for small sums such as bus fares). Make sure to always carry some small change with you.
Questions? Please do not hesitate to send us an e-mail (Norwegian also welcome)!